Did you know that toasty sandwiches are perfect for dunking in soup, especially cream soups? The two make a fine pair and there’s really no better or a more filling way to enjoy a good sandwich than with a hearty flavorful soup.
The secret to making sandwich recipes that melt one’s heart is in the ingredients, always in the ingredients. Most often, people just use American cheese to make cheese or cheese & ham sandwiches when there are so many other cheeses and so many other ingredients to make sandwiches into culinary masterpieces!
Here are a few combinations to blow your taste buds away whether you’re serving these on their own or alongside a good bowl of soup.
Sourdough bread and shredded cheddar
- A simply yet delicious sandwich, the old grilled sandwich made with cheddar cheese turns one of the simplest recipes into a delish experience.
You can top the bread with butter or extra virgin olive oil, let the cheese melt entirely and serve with veggie soup or chicken noodle soup for a more nutritious meal.
Hot dogs, cheese & green onions
- Feel free to skip the onions on this one and use powdered garlic or powdered onions, but if you want the real deal, you’ll want to keep the first. Although the recipe asks for shredded cheddar cheese, you can use provolone instead for a fancier sandwich dish and even replace the green onions with caramelized onions. Tomato soup goes very nice with this one!
Eggs, cauliflower & Parmesan
- Whoever said sandwiches can’t be healthy and filling?
Here’s the recipe right here. Including ingredients like cauliflower florets, lightly beaten eggs and finely grated parmesan, you make this recipe by grating the cauliflower or process it in a food processor, combine with eggs and parmesan cheese, then cook the mixture into small patties and once ready, place between bread slices, add your preferred cheese and turn on the sandwich maker.
Goes well with carrot soup!
Mozzarella, feta cheese & red peppers
- You’ll need to put in a little extra work for this recipe also, but oh how it’s going to be worth it! Drizzle your red peppers with some extra virgin olive oil then cook over medium fire in a pan until softened, preferably covered. Then simply top a bread slice with shredded mozzarella, feta cheese and the cooked peppers, top with the other slice of bread and voila! Cook until bread is golden and cheese is melty!
Serve with a creamy fall soup!
Tomatoes, bacon & mayonnaise
- You’ll want to use Gruyere cheese for this particular sandwich and if you can throw in some sea salt and sliced provolone, that’ll really do the trick. Start by spreading your bread with mayonnaise and placing one slice mayonnaise down in your sandwich maker.
Season the tomatoes with salt, cook the bacon until crisp, top with cheese on one half and with provolone on the other side, add the tomatoes and the bacon, the other slice of bread with mayonnaise-side up and toast until cheese is melted.
Remember you can get creative and add any of the ingredients you like to make other great sandwiches. Think zucchini, chicken, Dijon mustard, pineapple, apples, teriyaki sauce, cooked minced meat, brie cheese and so, so many others!